Thursday 14 July 2016

Youngest California delegate to the Democratic convention? A Sanders supporter from Whittier

WHITTIER >> As Zenaida Huerta began her senior year last August at La Serna High School, she was thinking of the future.

Not only to graduation, but to Nov. 6, 2016.

“I knew I had to do something, be part of the process, if I wanted to vote for Bernie Sanders,” explained Huerta, 17, who turns 18 in August. “I wasn’t going to be old enough for the June primary, so he had to be on the ballot in November.”

Huerta, who will be attending Claremont-McKenna College in the fall majoring in government, did more than campaign for Sanders, she started a Lancers for Sanders club and on May 1 was elected as a Sanders delegate. She is the youngest California delegate.

“I knew it was going to be tough because Bernie started so low in the polls,” she said, “but I believed in his message regarding college fees and loans, equal pay, the environment and immigration.” For the full article click here 



from democratic dojo http://ift.tt/29G4t9Z
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment